The main purpose of the WCGRB is to control and regulate gambling and racing within the Province of the Western Cape, to provide a stable, just, consistent and effective regulatory environment; inspire public confidence and trust, in an environment free from corruption and unlawful gambling and betting activities; and contribute to the economy of the Western Cape in an innovative and socially responsible manner.
THE VISION OF THE BOARD IS TO BE RECOGNISED AS THE LEADING GAMBLING REGULATORY AUTHORITY FOR INNOVATIVE, SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS PRACTICES AND MAXIMISATION OF ECONOMIC OPPORTUNITIES IN A SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE MANNER.
OPERATIONS AND FUNCTIONS
SERVICES RENDERED BY THE BOARD AS A PUBLIC ENTITYThe Board is charged with receiving and investigating applications for licences pertaining to the various sectors of the gambling and betting industries in the Province, considering licence applications and exercising regulatory authority over the conduct of gambling and betting operations by all entities and persons licensed by it. As such, the Board renders services to the province, the gambling industry and the public, by ensuring:-
- Through probity investigations, that only appropriate persons, who meet the applicable legal requirements, are licensed to participate in the industry
- Through ongoing oversight over the licensed industry, that licensed operations take place in accordance with the prescribed requirements and procedures and operate fairly towards the public
- Through the imposition of licence conditions, that licence holders comply with the undertakings made in their bids or other requirements stipulated by the Board and conduct their activities in a socially responsible manner
- Through ongoing research, that the legal framework within which the Board operates keeps pace with developments on technological and other levels
- Through enforcement of the law, that illegal gambling activities are detected and prosecuted
- Through consistent and thorough regulation, that the industry functions in a stable and credible environment
- Through regular and detailed compliance audits, that any instances of non-compliance by licence holders are detected and appropriately addressed
- Through regular and comprehensive financial audits, those due to the provincial fiscus are accurately calculated and timeously paid; and
- Through the attendance at both national and international conferences and industry related events, together with the internal training programmes in respect of such attendance, that the Board is kept abreast of the latest development in the industry.
In the execution of their collective functions, the Board and its Office place the highest value on:
|Integrity||The quality of possessing and steadfastly adhering to a moral or ethical code and high professional standards.|
|Transparency and Accountability||The principle that the Board will conduct its business in an accessible, clear and visible manner with its activities open to examination and answerable to stakeholders and the public at large.|
|Competency||Having a competent and responsive regulatory authority.|
|Innovation||Creating business efficiencies through practical innovative solutions and ideas.|
WCGRB ROUTINE OPEN BOARD MEETINGS
Meetings of the Board are, per Section 18(7) of the Western Cape Gambling and Racing Act, 1996 (“the Act”), open to members of the public.
In order to ensure that the Board maintain matters concerning the industry affairs and business operations of licence holders, the Board allotted quarterly dates for Open Meetings, which will be conducted at the Office of the Board and virtually via the Zoom Online Platform. The remainder of the Board Meetings are conducted as Closed Meetings pursuant to Section Section18(8) of the Act.
Please Read the Guidelines below for Attendance at Open Board Meetings
Please complete the registration form below and email to email@example.com
DATES FOR OPEN BOARD MEETINGS
- 25 April 2023
- 27 June 2023
- 26 September 2023
- 28 November 2023
FINANCE & IT COMMITTEE
HUMAN CAPITAL COMMITTEE
LIMITED PAY-OUT MACHINE COMMITTEE
RESPONSIBLE GAMBLING COMMITTEE